What is the More than a Pink Ribbon project all about?
To commemorate the Virginia Breast Cancer Foundation’s 25th Anniversary in 2016, we are creating a “virtual quilt” − appropriate for the 21st century, yet still honoring our roots. This quilt titled “More than a Pink Ribbon” will be a unique piece of art that highlights the names and faces in the fight against breast cancer. It will serve as symbol of our strength and show that there is more to breast cancer than the omnipresent pink ribbon.
Help us make this quilt a “virtual reality.” For a small donation, you can upload a photo, name and/or brief written statement/inspirational quote to be included on a special quilt square. Your quilt square can:
- Honor a loved one diagnosed with breast cancer
- Memorialize a loved one who lost their fight with breast cancer
- Commemorate your own personal survivorship journey
- Express your support for the fight against breast cancer
Your quilt square will also include a link to a space where personal stories can be added and where family and friends can leave comments.
Our goal is to collect 6,100 photos – the number of Virginians expected to be diagnosed with breast cancer this year.
Where does the money raised by the More than a Pink Ribbon project go?
Funds raised through this project help VBCF in its mission to provide education and advocacy for Virginians affected by breast cancer.
Why should I support VBCF?
- VBCF is the only statewide, state-based non-profit that offers FREE educational materials about breast cancer to individuals and groups across Virginia. All money raised for VBCF stays in Virginia to help our fellow Virginians.
- We are the first-stop resource in Virginia for the most up-to-date information on breast cancer including: early detection, newly diagnosed materials, treatment, legislation and survivorship through our website: vbcf.org; e-news and printed newsletters.
- We give Virginians a voice in the fight against breast cancer by advocating for improved public policies at both the state and national levels.
- We work to connect Virginians from all over the state with the resources they need: we fund grants for local libraries to purchase the most up-to-date breast cancer books and resources for their libraries, award mini-grants to local organizations to provide breast cancer education, and send volunteers to the Remote Area Medical Clinic program throughout Virginia, recently including Wise County and Warsaw County to offer educational resources on breast cancer to residents of underserved areas.
- We are a Charity Seal Holder accredited by the Better Business Bureau
What types of files are accepted?
All image file types are supported. Horizontal or landscape-oriented photos work best. Please do not upload a copyrighted image if you do not own the rights to the image or do not have permission from the copyright owner to distribute the image.
How long will it take for my photo or text square to appear?
Please allow us two business days to add your photo to the website. In most cases, your photos will appear faster. Photos submitted during weekends or holidays will be added the next business day.
How do I find the square I submitted?
You can scroll through the squares on the site. New squares will appear at the top of the page. You can also search for your square by clicking the pink magnifying glass icon on the left side of the page and either type your name or the name of the person you are honoring.
Can I share my quilt square through social media?
Yes, you can share your square to your Facebook page. Locate your square and click it to open the page for your square. There is a link below the photo that will allow you to share it to Facebook.
Someone submitted my photo but I want it removed, what should I do?
Send an email to email@example.com and your photo will be removed.
Have questions about the virtual quilt or VBCF?
Contact Kirsta Millar, Policy & Development Manager, at 800-345-223 ext. 203 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.